Saturday, December 4, 2010

Longest Three Hours of My Life


My resident hermit crab, aka Buddy had to go to the Vet yesterday for shots. Buddy hates anything that is not in his routine. He hates leaving his house, his yard and he really, really hates the car. Not sure what bad things happened to him before I rescued him, but it has something to do with a car. Today was made worse because Dingo wasn't going. Poor little Buddy was so out of sorts that I thought he was going to have a heart attack. Just getting the leash on him (which, in contrast, makes Dingo turn in to some sort of show dog prancing around with the leash in his mouth) was traumatic. He wanted nothing to do with any of it. 

I dropped my kids off at school and went to get him his bath at Pet Food Express. I could bathe him at home, but it destroys my bathroom and then I can't dry him well and it's cold and well, ...you get the idea.  Alas, Pet Food Express doesn't open until 9:30 am and it was now only about 8:10 am. Ack. I didn't want to go home and then drive back again. I decided to take him for a walk on the trail, even though he's never walked anywhere besides our neighborhood. I had visions of broadening his horizons through some Mommy/Buddy walking time. 

Once on the trail, he was basically running to I have no idea where. He had no idea where either, but wherever it is that he thought he was going has nothing to do with the car. Thank goodness I had him on a leash with a collar that can't come off because if I didn't he would have been outta there!  

I decided to take him to the dog park, so we walked the one mile to the park.  I was getting brave in my exposure of him to new adventures! Along the way, I realized he is such a different dog when Dingo is not around. He didn't care about squirrels. He didn't care about other dogs. He was just tunnel vision focused on getting to wherever it is he thought he was going. 

At the dog park, he was such a good boy. There was only one other dog in the small dog area and their meeting was uneventful. The other dog was actually really persnickety towards Buddy and he just ignored her and went about his way. Once again, completely different without Dingo. 

We left the dog park and made our way back to the car. He refused to drink, just like his brother. My dogs, no matter if they walk six miles in 100 degree heat, will NOT drink in public places. They both are so stubborn. I have no idea where they get that from. :)

Once the store opened, we were the first customers of the day. Once inside Buddy's worst nightmare place, I told the salesperson that I wanted to purchase a bath. Sitting beside the cash register was the CUTEST cat, who I assumed lived at the store. I talked sweet to him. Buddy looked at him and then the the rude salesperson said, "I wouldn't push it if I were you. He does not like dogs." I then said, "I'm not pushing anything. I'm just waiting to pay and the cat is right by the register." Then I proceeded to say with smile and through gritted teeth, "If he doesn't like dogs, he's probably not living in the best place." I mean, what kind of sense does that make? 

Buddy got his bath (see picture). I think the walk helped him not completely lose his mind with fear. He usually tries so hard to jump out of the tubs they have that I have visions of him hanging himself. That happened to friend of mine in junior high and her dad had to give the dog CPR to bring it back to life. I used the hand held dryer to get him dry and warm, and you can just about imagine how much that was not his favorite part of the whole day. Once done and outside, I have to pick him up to get him in the car and, of course, that makes him pee. You can just say, "Hi, Buddy" and he pees, so actually picking him up to put him in the place that he hates the most is certain urinary leakage.
  He's my dog. Don't be jealous. 

So, I initially left my house at 8 am and after the bath, it's was 10 am. His vet appointment wasn't until 11 am, but I didn't want to go home. I didn't want to take him out of the car, to put him back in again. 

Since he refused to drink at Pet Food Express, as well, I decided to buy him some water and pour it in to a cup. I went to a store, did just that and gave it to him. Did he drink? No. Ugh! He was panting like a maniac, but he refused. I know the panting was also because he was stressed, but the lack of drinking drove me nuts. Even Dingo would have drank by then.

Ok. We FINALLY get to go in to the vet at 10:45 am. Once again, he was such a good boy. He loves people. Dogs: ehh.. People: love. He went up to a lady there and just sat by her legs. She talked sweet to him and he ate it up. He was mellow and relaxed the whole visit. He was sweet with the doctor, even though he told Buddy he's overweight. Of course, Buddy's a boy and not as sensitive about the issue as we women are, so the comment just rolled off his back.

Much to my delight, guess who walks in right before we leave the vet's office?
Billy. That's who. Be still my heart. Sorry for the blurry picture but it's my camera phone and he wouldn't sit still. I could have taken him home right then and there. He's a little chubby but he didn't want to talk about that. I just sat with him and gave him some lovin'.

Billy was my reward after a very long three hours wrangling, walking, washing, corralling and comforting my little hermit crab. Once back home, Dingo was so excited to see Buddy and me,  that all of his hair was up along his back. He looked like a big, puffed up grizzly bear.

He's up next. Bath, trail walk and vet. Can't wait!



No comments:

You Might Also Like...

Related Posts with Thumbnails