Friday, January 13, 2012

Guard Dog On Duty

 If there could be only one picture that sums up my Dingo, this would be it. Look at his posture. Sitting up perfectly straight, ears straight up and pointed forward. He's on guard. He's always on guard. He protects the house, the yard and us. Always. All dogs need some sort of job and this is his. As you can see, it doesn't matter if I close the curtains. He will still find a way to see out, to make sure there is no intruder making his way into our space. Ok, so that intruder could be a cat or, Lord forbid, a squirrel, but any way it appears, all uninvited guests must answer to our guard dog, Dingo.

When I brought home this little brown 6 month old puppy eight years ago, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. Over the years, his barking and huffing and puffing in the yard has driven me crazy to the point that I'm like, "my next dog will be a little fluffy fluff" that never barks!  But, this last year, I've come to love and appreciate my special body guard. Recently, our house was broken in to and it was very traumatic for all of us and that fact has made me appreciate Dingo's protectiveness all the more. He was locked in a bedroom that day, so he couldn't protect the house, like normal. I have no doubt if he was roaming free, those people would have not gotten the chance to come in to our home and rummage through our things, our memories. 

Since that day, almost a month ago, Dingo (and Buddy) has been almost off the charts sensitive to noise, people and anything unfamiliar in our house. I think that he knows that something happened that day. Of course, the room that Dingo was in was the only room that wasn't touched by crime. I have no doubt that he was completely losing his mind on the other side of the door, as strangers made their way through the house. I feel like he knows that he didn't get to do his job that day and has vowed to make sure it never happens again because right now, he is the most protective he has ever been and I like it. Actually, I love it.

The difference in this photo? He's still perked up. He's still on guard. But, his ears? They are pointing backward because even when he's on guard, he has to listen to what we are doing behind him. Yep, he's that good. To top it all off, he's such a sweet boy. He loves everyone that comes over and is very good with the chaos that my life full of boys brings.

Thanks, boy. We LOVE you.
 
"I wouldn't say that you were ruthless or right.
I couldn't see from so far.
Was I chasing after rainbows?
One thing for sure you never answered when I called.
And I wiped away the water from my face
To look through the eyes of a stranger..."

~The Seventh Stranger- Duran Duran


No comments:

You Might Also Like...

Related Posts with Thumbnails